I’m excited to share my latest attempt at a sewing project from Sewing for Boys… the Treasure Pocket Pants!
This was begun just before I landed on bed rest and it taunted me in it’s pile of pieces on the sewing table throughout the duration of my time down. Once I was cleared to get up I attacked it with a vengance as I really wanted Eli to have this pair of pants in time for Christmas. All told I spent about 3 weeks on it as it just takes me forever and many mishaps to sew up things according to other people’s instructions. I just keep reminding myself that it is all part of the learning process. And I did learn a lot… including how to make a faux fly!
The side panels are pieced together from old t-shirts and other articles of clothing I had been saving exactly for this purpose for quite some time. To avoid having the knit fabric stretch too much during assembly I backed the assembled panels with muslin.
I hit a bit of a wall during the construction of these pants in that the pattern pieces for the side panel above the pocket and the rest of the side panel were different widths. I measured and remeasured and wondered how I could be messing up so royally and yet be unable to find my error. I was very pleased to discover that I was not at all at fault (for once!) and that there has since been published a corrected pattern piece that can be downloaded and printed off the web. (www.sewing-for-boys.com/ updatesanderrata/)
In addition to the side panels, all the other fabric used to make these pants was reclaimed from old clothing as well. I really like that this one pair of pants helped make a bit of a dent in my stash of fabric for repurposing.
This was featured!
Here’s where I’m linking up: